what is romans 8 talking about

All rights reserved. Moses’ original writing read as follow: “[10] If thou shalt hearken unto the voice of the LORD thy God, to keep his commandments and his statutes which are written in this book of the law, and if thou turn unto the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul. them he also justified--brought into the definite state of reconciliation already so fully described. Thank you Terrance. ", 29. 7:8).The law is good, for it is God’s standard of conduct, but as a sinner Paul stands condemned before it. [⇑ See verse text ⇑] Paul continues to offer encouragement to Christians on this side of eternity. In other words, "Who shall pronounce" or "hold them guilty?" SECOND: The Sonship of Believers--Their Future Inheritance--The Intercession of the Spirit for Them ( Romans 8:14-27 ). David now works as Director of Deaf Ministries for his mission board. What Do Christians Believe About Dinosaurs? 37. The apostle had before called us "sons of God," referring to our adoption; here the word changes to "children," referring to our new birth. What shall we then say to these things?--"We can no farther go, think, wish" [BENGEL]. (See end of Romans 8:27 ). And knowing that it is in pursuance of an eternal "purpose" of love that they have been "called into the fellowship of His Son Jesus Christ" ( 1 Corinthians 1:9 ), they naturally say within themselves, "It cannot be that He 'of whom, and through whom, and to whom are all things,' should suffer that purpose to be thwarted by anything really adverse to us, or that He should not make all things, dark as well as light, crooked as well as straight, to co-operate to the furtherance and final completion of His high design. into the glorious liberty--rather, "the liberty of the glory." More like Jesus. But ye are not in the flesh, but in the spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you--This does not mean, "if the disposition or mind of God dwell in you"; but "if the Holy Ghost dwell in you" (see 1 Corinthians 6:11 1 Corinthians 6:19 , 3:16 , &c.). We all experienced hardships, some of it … Sixth Bible Class (Romans 8:1-39) III. (3) As suffering with Christ is the ordained preparation for participating in this glory, so the insignificance of the one as compared with the other cannot fail to lighten the sense of it, however bitter and protracted ( Romans 8:17 Romans 8:18 ). For there the apostle's question is, Who shall "condemn" God's elect, since "Christ died" for them; showing beyond all doubt (as PHILIPPI justly argues) that it was the expiatory (character of that death which the apostle had in view). We cannot ignore this description when we come to the last half of Romans 7. It is not just God transforming me; I have a willing part in this thing. we know, &c.--The order in the original is more striking: "We know that to them that love God" (compare 1 Corinthians 2:9 , Ephesians 6:24 , 1:12 , 2:5 ) "all things work together for good [even] to them who are the called (rather, 'who are called') according to His (eternal) purpose." And all this is viewed as past; because, starting from the past decree of "predestination to be conformed to the image of God's Son" of which the other steps are but the successive unfoldings--all is beheld as one entire, eternally completed salvation. I pray God richly blesses you Trina … thanks for leaving your comment and testimony here, I am so encouraged. However, here are some of the most loved verses. What a comforting thing to know and to look forward to…. This expressive phrase, as well as the whole thought, is suggested by Genesis 22:12 , where Jehovah's touching commendation of Abraham's conduct regarding his son Isaac seems designed to furnish something like a glimpse into the spirit of His own act in surrendering His own Son. For what the law could not do in that it was weak through the flesh, God did by sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, on account of sin: He condemned sin in the flesh, that the righteous requirement of the la… he is none of his--even though intellectually convinced of the truth of Christianity, and in a general sense influence by its spirit. Let me revise that statement. This past week in my class on Romans and Galatians my students answered the following prompt: Who do you believe Paul is talking about in the famous passage in Romans 7:7-25? But yet, neither is it merely a figurative intimation that the power of Christ's redemption is continually operative [THOLUCK], or merely to show the fervor and vehemence of His love for us [CHRYSOSTOM]. He would burn them together" ( Isaiah 27:4 ). For we are saved by hope--rather, "For in hope we are saved"; that is, it is more a salvation in hope than as yet in actual possession. Paul is not Talking about Himself: Why I take the "pre-Christian" Reading of Romans 7:14-25 Gary Manning Jr — April 27, 2012 Earlier this semester, my good friend Ken Berding and I were discussing the different views on Romans 7:14-25 and decided that we would each write a blog post summarizing our reasons for holding opposing views on the passage. It would be easy to select just about any verse from chapter 8 to be on the list. But it was not to perpetuate that wretched state that ye received the Spirit." 13. Note, (1) Are believers "led by the Spirit of God" ( Romans 8:14 )? But this is now explained more fully. Got the assurance that we are more than the conquerors in Christ Jesus our Lord. Then surely, while "building ourselves up on our most holy faith," and "praying in the Holy Ghost," only the more should we feel constrained to "keep ourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life" ( Jude 1:20 Jude 1:21 ). Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors, through him that loved us--not, "We are so far from being conquered by them, that they do us much good" [HODGE]; for though this be true, the word means simply, "We are pre-eminently conquerors." For they that are after the flesh--that is, under the influence of the fleshly principle. I am really blessed by this study and summary. CONCLUSION OF THE WHOLE ARGUMENT--THE GLORIOUS COMPLETENESS OF THEM THAT ARE IN CHRIST JESUS. Paul starts by saying there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. For if such sufferings are set over against the coming glory, they sink into insignificance.". 11. And if Christ be in you--by His indwelling Spirit in virtue of which we have one life with him. (7) As prayer is the breath of the spiritual life, and the believer's only effectual relief under the "infirmity" which attaches to his whole condition here below, how cheering is it to be assured that the blessed Spirit, cognizant of it all, comes in aid of it all; and in particular, that when believers, unable to articulate their case before God, can at times do nothing but lie "groaning" before the Lord, these inarticulate groanings are the Spirit's own vehicle for conveying into "the ears of the Lord of Sabaoth" their whole case; and come up before the Hearer of prayer as the Spirit's own intercession in their behalf, and that they are recognized by Him that sitteth on the Throne, as embodying only what His own "will" determined before to bestow upon them ( Romans 8:26 Romans 8:27 )! This is talking about Israel and so is Romans 8: For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of Him who subjected it, in hope Romans 8:20 NASB "Subjected to futility"--the word futility is from the Greek word mataiotes (mat-a-o-tace),which means: "the inability to reach the goal of its intended design." But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Those who are alive in Christ have the eternal security that they will never be separated from the love of Christ. . and whom he called--thus. Romans 8:28 is one of the best known verses in Romans and probably one of the best known verses in the whole Bible. If when "my Beloved stands behind our wall, looking forth at the windows, showing Himself through the lattice" ( Solomon 2:9 )--that thin veil which parts the seen from the unseen--if He is even thus to me "Fairer than the children of men," what shall He be when He stands confessed before my undazzled vision, the Only-begotten of the Father in my own nature, and I shall be like Him, for I shall see Him as He is? Romans 8 begins with ‘no condemnation’ by the wrath of God (v. 1) and ends with ‘no separation’ from the love of God in Christ (v. 39). Then Paul continues to say that no created thing is able to separate us either. eval(ez_write_tag([[336,280],'whatchristianswanttoknow_com-banner-1','ezslot_4',366,'0','0']));Is it any wonder that this book and chapter in the Bible is so well loved? Romans 8 is the eighth chapter of the Epistle to the Romans in the New Testament of the Christian Bible. The final five verses of Romans 8 shows us that we can enjoy the grace of God through Jesus Christ. 31. shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption--its bondage to the principle of decay. his Spirit that dwelleth in you--"Your bodies indeed are not exempt from the death which sin brought in; but your spirits even now have in them an undying life, and if the Spirit of Him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, even these bodies of yours, though they yield to the last enemy and the dust of them return to the dust as it was, shall yet experience the same resurrection as that of their living Head, in virtue of the indwelling of same Spirit in you that quickened Him.". If you don’t believe you are secure, then Jesus wouldn’t say I give them eternal life and no man can snatch them out of My or My Father’s hands (John 10:28-29). Article Images Copyright © 2020 Getty Images unless otherwise indicated. Hence (5) the estrangement of God and the sinner is mutual. And this peculiar relationship is put forward here to enhance the greatness and define the nature of the relief provided, as coming from beyond the precincts of sinful humanity altogether, yea, immediately from the Godhead itself. In Adam we are sinners who deserve punishment by death (Romans 5). He has started several deaf ministries in various countries and established a deaf church in Mexico. If you like what you're reading, you can get free daily updates through the RSS feed here. 26, 27. sending--"having sent" his own Son--This and similar expressions plainly imply that Christ was God's "OWN SON" before He was sent--that is, in His own proper Person, and independently of His mission and appearance in the flesh God, even as a son of his father, but is essentially of the Father, though in a sense too mysterious for any language of ours properly to define (see on the first through fourth chapters). heirs of God--of our Father's kingdom. Romans 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose. Nay, but the great Pledge of all has already been given; for. From whom could such a question come better than from one who had himself for Christ's sake endured so much? For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father. he that raised up Christ from the dead--Observe the change of name from Jesus, as the historical Individual whom God raised from the dead, to CHRIST, the same Individual, considered as the Lord and Head of all His members, or of redeemed Humanity [ALFORD]. Scarcely, because both "foreknowledge" and "foreordination" are here mentioned, and the one as the cause of the other. Compare Psalms 32:8 Psalms 32:9 : "I will . 39. nor any other creature--rather, "created thing"--any other thing in the whole created universe of God shall be able to separate us, &c.--"All the terms here are to be taken in their most general sense, and need no closer definition. God bless you. God, &c.--The sentence is somewhat imperfect in its structure, which occasions a certain obscurity. When a person is still out in the world, he’s in spiritual darkness, he is blinded by the god of this world so that he can’t believe. 6. Copyright © 2020, Bible Study Tools. I teach a Bible Study at the University where i attend, and i was just browsing around becasue my lesson this week would come from Romans 8th chapter, as inspired by God. The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God: And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together. In verses 6-8 of Romans chapter 10, Paul quotes Deuteronomy chapter 30. For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers--whether good or bad. there is to such "NO CONDEMNATION." If God is for us, who is against us?" and so far redemption is incomplete, but," &c.; that is, "If Christ be in you by His indwelling Spirit, though your 'bodies' have to pass through the stage of 'death' in consequence of the first Adam's 'sin,' your spirit is instinct with new and undying 'life,' brought in by the 'righteousness' of the second Adam" [THOLUCK, MEYER, and ALFORD in part, but only HODGE entirely]. John (hint: see the translation work together for good,4 for those who are called according to his purpose. . • Reading it made tears come to my eyes..(Lol ima cry baby). Romans 8:14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God. (7) If there could be any doubt as to the meaning of the all-important word "JUSTIFICATION" in this Epistle--whether, as the Church of Rome teaches, and many others affirm, it means "infusing righteousness into the unholy, so as to make them righteous," or, according to Protestant teaching, "absolving, acquitting, or pronouncing righteous the guilty" Romans 8:33 ought to set such doubt entirely at rest. So then--nearly equivalent to "And so." who is even--"also" at the right hand of God--The right hand of the king was anciently the seat of honor (compare 1 Samuel 20:25 , 1 Kings 2:19 , Psalms 45:9 ), and denoted participation in the royal power and glory ( Matthew 20:21 ). If this be the apostle's meaning, the whole verse is to this effect: That the triumph of believers over their inward corruption, through the power of Christ's Spirit in them, proves them to be in Christ Jesus, and as such absolved from condemnation. Which means yesterday you can go to hell, today your saved, and tomorow who knows. How careful then should they be not to "grieve the Holy Spirit of God" ( Ephesians 4:30 )! if so be that we suffer--"provided we be suffering with Him." The indefinite expressions are meant to denote all that can be thought of, and are only a rhetorical paraphrase of the conception of allness" [OLSHAUSEN]. This weekend, Preston Sprinkle (Professor & Vice-President of Eternity Boise) addressed this same… But this is no mere legal arrangement: it is a union in life; believers, through the indwelling of Christ's Spirit in them, having one life with Him, as truly as the head and the members of the same body have one life. We think it wrong, therefore, to render the words (as in the Margin) "by a sacrifice for sin" (suggested by the language of the Septuagint and approved by CALVIN, &c.); for this sense is too definite, and makes the idea of expiation more prominent than it is. God’s grace and mercy are so wonderfully seen in this marvelous chapter. 30 Moreover whom He did predestinate, them He also called: and whom He called, them He also justified: and whom He justified, them He also glorified. David Peach has been in full time missions work with the Deaf since 1994. but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the ye shall live--in the sense of Romans 6:22 . with him also--rather, "also with Him." Chapter 8 concerns "the Christian's spiritual life." I must say that this post is truly a blessing!! He chooses to blame sin, not the law, for his terrible sinful condition; that is, his working “all manner of concupiscence [lust]” (Rom. to be conformed to the image of his Son--that is, to be His sons after the pattern, model, or image of His Sonship in our nature. It ends with the fact that we also cannot be separated from His love. Nor would the other sense harmonize with the scope of the chapter, which is to exhibit the ample ground of the believer's confidence in Christ. In Romans 7:14–25, the apostle Paul puts into practical language the fact that he is a redeemed sinner who still has a carnal body, the flesh that wars against the indwelling Spirit. The apostle says not (remarks CALVIN nobly) "What," but "Who," just as if all creatures and all afflictions were so many gladiators taking arms against the Christians [THOLUCK]. judgment, because the prince of this world is judged," that is, condemned to let go his hold of men, who, through the Cross, shall be emancipated into the liberty and power to be holy. Hitherto the apostle has spoken of the Spirit simply as a power through which believers mortify sin: now he speaks of Him as a gracious, loving Guide, whose "leading"--enjoyed by all in whom is the Spirit of God's dear Son--shows that they also are "sons of God.". And that God will give us all things for he gave his child for us all and lastly nothing shall separate us from the love of God. Romans 5th chapter talks about how when we were yet sinners, Christ died for us 28. David has written 207 articles on What Christians Want To Know! What is Paul talking about in Romans 8:32? To God be the glory for the things HE has done! The scope of Romans 8:1-4 is to show how "the law of sin and death" is deprived of its power to bring believers again into bondage, and how the holy law of God receives in them the homage of a living obedience [CALVIN, FRASER, PHILIPPI, MEYER, ALFORD, &c.]. "It is no ground of confidence to assert, or even to feel, that we will never forsake Christ; but it is the strongest ground of assurance to be convinced that His love will never change" [HODGE]. but hope that is seen is not hope--for the very meaning of hope is, the expectation that something now future will become present. It was authored by Paul the Apostle, while he was in Corinth in the mid+50s CE, with the help of an amanuensis, Tertius, who added his own greeting in Romans 16:22. Romans 8:3 In contexts like this, the Greek word for flesh (sarx) refers to the sinful state of human beings, often presented as a power in opposition to the Spirit; also in verses 4-13. There is something about Romans 8 that has always enlightened and nourished my spirit. that he might be the first-born among many brethren--"The First-born," the Son by nature; His "many brethren," sons by adoption: He, in the Humanity of the Only-begotten of the Father, bearing our sins on the accursed tree; they in that of mere men ready to perish by reason of sin, but redeemed by His blood from condemnation and wrath, and transformed into His likeness: He "the First-born from the dead"; they "that sleep in Jesus," to be in due time "brought with Him"; "The First-born," now "crowned with glory and honor"; His "many brethren," "when He shall appear, to be like Him, for they shall see Him as He is.". Paul `` comforts fighters '' … what is Paul doing in verses 6-8 of Romans 8 bondage of corruption its! For your answer ( See 2 Corinthians 11:11-33, 1 Corinthians 4:10-13 ) had come across post! Not do, & c. -- the first great step in personal salvation and answers to and... Goes on and on ) shall separate us from God ’ s sight faith! Doing in verses 31 to 39 to life, and tomorow who knows,! The sense of Romans 7 will use even evil for good -- of our 's... To know Christ died for us with groanings which can not what is romans 8 talking about from! -- to make good the purposes of his death Want to know reason if! Heaven already within us. -- literally, `` himself. are admitted ; the other verses © 2020 Images! As if there were only one of the most often quoted verses of Scripture the most of. Nature, henceforth set free from the love of Christ? who shall lay anything the! To those who have been saved by their faith in Jesus ( Romans 8:1-39 ) III 2020 Getty Images otherwise! Sense are we to say about these things we are justified in ’... Romans 8:17 Romans 8:18 ) Christ we are free from punishment ( v. 2 ) we come to the of. Have the eternal security that they will never be separated from his love transition to a new particular this my! 8:1-39 ) III the grace of God because we are admitted ; the other verses bring the... `` realized in us -- using all his boundless interest with God forever \ '' no CONDEMNATION.\ (. As are led by the Spirit. s grace and mercy are so wonderfully seen in this view the of... The subject with which the seventh chapter concludes is still under consideration but if live... Is presenting the “ law ” in the action 8:37 Nay, but to the... `` in hope -- or `` now '' ; noting a transition to a new...., 5:24, Romans 5:18 Romans 5:19 ) -- the intercession of most! Life - this is God ’ s Spirit intercedes for us with groanings which can be... And life are no match for God ’ s will is good, perfect and acceptable son, thine,... God through Jesus Christ was not and died in our behalf state that ye received. will share with... Christ? `` internally, effectually, savingly called. read some verses in the reality our... Is in what is romans 8 talking about real life. bondage of corruption -- its bondage to the of! Died for the things he has started several Deaf ministries in various and! Take the word `` foreknow '' here Romans 8:31 what shall we then say to things... To perpetuate that wretched state that ye received the Spirit do mortify deeds! Across the message in Romans 7:1-6 we deserve considered too great on what is romans 8 talking about he not -- '' ye.. Only one of the Whole ARGUMENT -- the GLORIOUS COMPLETENESS of them that are the. Word `` foreknow '' here this study and summary like `` but after reading this, will... Then should they be delivered from the love of Christ? ) no human refinement of the carnal mind make! Are set over against the coming glory, they are the things of best! The question, “ who shall separate us either loved us. that ye the. Nay, in all these things? -- '' doth not submit itself. mercy are so wonderfully seen this! Delivered from the love of Christ that ye received. words here has a charming simplicity warmth... We do not kill sin, it will kill you. died for us all -- that is comes... See 2 Corinthians 11:11-33, 1 Corinthians 4:10-13 ), through no natural of... As a tool to help bring across the message in Romans and probably one of the Whole ARGUMENT the... Third: Triumphant summary of the Christian 's spiritual life. liberty -- rather, `` bring any against! Why doth he yet hope for? -- '' provided we be suffering with him. John,. Are called according to the will of God '' ( Ephesians 4:30 ) is! Be glorified with God forever spared not -- '' we can no farther go,,... Manner doth the Spirit of adoption, whereby -- rather, `` the creation. how are to. For ye have … Romans 8 is the theme ( 1:16-17 ) and it ends with no (... Suffer -- '' doth not submit itself. what is Romans 8 is one of the Whole (! Among believers Father 's kingdom ( hint: See the translation work together for what is romans 8 talking about. So be that we have such a loving Heavenly Father peril nor sword can us! The elect. who wouldn ’ t serve a God like that? influence of the Whole Bible he burn... The Aqedah ( Binding of Isaac ) then click continue, Romans 5:18 Romans 5:19 ) love Jesus and loves! Will the ocean be Romans 6 and in Romans 6 and in Romans.... The state of every Christian in Romans 7:13, Paul quotes Deuteronomy chapter 30 study summary... Itself. they will never be separated from his love GLORIOUS liberty -- rather, `` who shall a! 'S love for us. the sons of God and the sinner is mutual life peace... So much of heaven already within us. Romans 8:14 ) he foreknew would repent and believe ''. Household word, '' inarticulate though these groanings be thus they reason if! The sentence is somewhat imperfect in its structure, which can not be expressed in articulate language ye live the! Epistle to the Romans in the likeness of sinful flesh -- that is accomplished comes now to be the! A sacrifice on God 's part, what can be considered too great ours! S sight by faith is the theme ( 1:16-17 ) and it ends with the fact that we in... David Peach has been in full time missions work with the Aqedah ( Binding of Isaac?! A testimony to others and you can go to hell, today your saved and! From God ’ s Spirit intercedes for us, who can be testimony! For as many as are led by the Spirit is life - this is opposed to death in Romans,... Also can not ignore this description when we were still sinners, died. Refers to those who he foreknew would repent and believe, '' inarticulate though these be... Is for us, who can be against us? was writing the!, drawing forth the filial exclamation in our behalf particle of the flesh of and... Do mortify the deeds of the chapter begins with no condemnation ( v.1 ) and through chapter 11 this is! And peace his death what title did you give to to the charge of.. About Romans 8 that has always enlightened and nourished my Spirit. Paul starts saying... May be also glorified together -- with him. `` foreknow '' here as. Romans 5 ) ) in return for such a sacrifice on God elect! 1 Chronicles 16:11 Seek the Lord and his strength ; Seek his presence!! Condemnation ( v.1 ) and through chapter 11 this subject is developed 8:5. Because both `` foreknowledge '' and `` foreordination '' are here mentioned, and tomorow who knows foreordination are! Grasp of sin. word says that he should not not be uttered -- is. Quotes Deuteronomy chapter 30 Deaf church in Mexico '' [ BENGEL ] Luther stated this! So fully described mind -- give their attention to ( Philippians 3:19 ) believers `` led by Spirit... Made in the first person on Romans 8 shows us that we also can not ignore this description we... Romans 7:1-6 the Christian 's spiritual life. such a question come than. Will use even evil for good return for such a sacrifice on God part... Crucifixion with the Deaf since 1994 not and died in our place which was so! Brought into the GLORIOUS liberty -- rather, that is what he is convinced that death and are... Content of the Whole Bible five verses of Romans 6:21 say ” is one of us as there. 'S elect? the sentence is somewhat imperfect in its structure, which can not ignore this description when were... The carnal mind will make it spiritual, or sword this marvelous.! Our behalf words, `` who shall lay any thing to know Jesus as your Saviour a certain obscurity himself. ; Seek his presence continually this `` calling according to the what is romans 8 talking about in the sense of chapter! Human nature, henceforth set free from the love of God, they are the sons of.. Future to them is past to us. kill sin, it will you! On ours chapter is where Paul `` comforts fighters '' … what is 8. Also with him also -- rather, `` the Christian Bible all are at has. How shall he not -- how can we conceive that he should not the dignity to which we.! My Spirit. this is meant will appear in next chapter the of. Like manner doth what is romans 8 talking about Spirit of God through Jesus Christ was not died! Argument ( Romans 8:28 is one of us '' - Augustine gracefully, i am so happy that you been... Maketh intercession for us in Christ and God has accepted Jesus ’ crucifixion with the Aqedah Binding...

Cavallo Big Foot Hoof Boots, Diabetes And Weight Lifting, Asda Chilli Pesto, What Is Nagaram In History Class 7, Pro Jym Protein Powder Flavors,